DTerm user manual
DTerm is a terminal emulation for WindowsTM to send and receive RS-232 bytes as well as UDP packets - latter feature comparable with a TCP Telnet session, but without the need to maintain a "connection".
Additionally transmission and reception of raw bytes and complete files is possible. It has been tested to work with Windows 98, 2000, XP,7 and 10.
New feature of ver.3.12 is improved incremental script or source code upload, which is specially useful for my CForth project
A similar software specially designed for native MIDI ports is provided at this website, see "MIDITERM"
DTerm comes more or less self-explaining:
Some features shall be explained more specifically:
With menue item "File-->Select Send File" or "File-->Select Record File" you get into a configuration dialog to select the corresponding file. Here only a preselection is made, which is applied when options of menue "Up/Download" are selected. Nothing else happens directly here.
With menue "Stream" the display flow on the terminal screen can be interrupted or restarted. No influence on sent or received files. Useful in debugging situations when too much data are displayed for realtime interpretation.
With menue item "Config-->Terminal" you get into the configuration dialog.
By default, DTerm is configured as follows:
---Communication mode: RS-232, 115.2 kBaud, COM1, 8N1, no handshake.
---SendLine terminator "Carriage Return" (ASCII 0x0D or 13), no suppression of /*...*/ style comments
You can select:
- RS-232 mode:
--- Baud Rates 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400 (if supported by hardware)
--- CTS handshake. RTS handshake is not supported because it is usually not needed
- UDP mode: IP address (Multicast and Broadcast are supported)
--- Rx=local Port number
--- Tx=destination Port number
DTerm comes with following UDP default setup: IP is 192.168.0.240.
The default Tx port is 8000, the default Rx port number is 9000.
This is conformant with the default setting of the Ethernet-MIDI-USB Interface
and the Ethernet to MIDI&RS-232 + DMX512 Interface described at this website.
- Both modes:
--- in Send Mode (F5,F6,F7) selectable transmission delay in us/byte (0 ... 10000)
--- in Send Mode (F5,F6,F7) suppression of /*...*/ comments selectable.
Good for incremental programming of interpreter engines like Forth.
--- freely selectable line terminating character (any byte, incl nonprintable) for sending line-by-line
--- Local Echo
--- Bytes typed as plain ASCII (7 bit only) or as ASCII text representation of binary 8bit values
--- Bytes displayed as plain ASCII or as hexadecimal ASCII text representation of binary 8bit values
--- Screen Font
Send and receive of any files is supported. File content is handled "binary" - no special treatment of text files. No transport protocol or checksum is supported. This may be a risk for data integrity but raises flexiblility.
Features and corresponding command keys (also selectable by menue) in detail :
- F1: Select Send File (is stored in preset and re-selected when DTerm is started)
- F2: Select Receive File (is stored in preset and re-selected when DTerm is started)
- F3: Stop/drop display of received byte stream. Useful for analysis of permanently received debug/test data. Avoid scroll away.
- F4: Show received data stream again (default)
- New arrangement of options F5, F6,F7: /*...*/ style comments can be blocked (see "Terminal" dialog).
Modes F5,F6,F7 can be used in arbitrary sequence.
- F5: Send complete File. Delay (us per byte) selectable in "Terminal" dialog. This may be useful to send files to slow devices with small buffers which do not support CTS handshake
- F6: Send File "line by line". The line terminating character can be selected freely in "Terminal" dialog.
After each line has been sent, the terminal works in interactive mode until next key F5, F6 or F7 is pressed.
- F7: Send File "line by line". Features like F6, but additionally //... style comments are suppressed.
- F8: Abort file transmission immediately
- F9: Temporarily store any stream of received bytes while the content is displayed. No timestamp
- F10: Temporarily store any stream of received bytes silently without display. No timestamp
- F11: Pause temporary storage. The text "_PaUsE_" is inserted into the record file for later recognition of different record segments. Recording can be restarted at any time with Key F9 or F10 and is appended to the originally opened file. The resulting file is stored on disk when you close DTerm or type Key F12. If Key F9 or F10 is pressed again after recording was finished with Key F12, the selected Receive File is overwritten without warning
- F12: store temporarily received file on disk and close it. Receive option started once, the file is stored in any case when DTerm is terminated
If you have selected "command input as hex bytes" then a single byte can be entered as follows and transmitted immediately:
First enter the high nibble as a hex digit 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F. Letter input is case insensitive. Next enter the low nibble the same style. Terminate input with a <SPACE>. If the high nibble is = 0, then only the low nibble has to be entered and terminated with a <SPACE>.
Typed characters may be responded on the terminal screen with Local Echo ON. Typing errors may be corrected with the BACKPSPACE key.
If an invalid hex digit or a wrong number of hex nibbles was entered, this is responded by a question mark '?'.
Example: send a NOTE ON message on MIDI channel #3 with chamber pitch 'a' and standard velocity (dec64 = hex40): type as text 92<SPACE>45<SPACE>40<SPACE>. Every byte is transmitted immediately after termination.
Download:The subsequently downloadable material is copyrighted (c)2005-20 by Wolfgang Schemmert
Use of the software is permitted for free by everybody for any purpose ("freeware")
This software is provided "as is" - without any warranty. Any responsibility is excluded.
Program version v3.12, status 30 May 2021 (contains "dterm.eee" and this HTML file in PDF format. "dterm.eee" must be renamed to "dterm.exe" before use.)
3.11 (Aug 2019)
F1-F4 new assigned,
menue item "Stream" added,
vertical scroll and window size improved.
3.12 (June 2020)
Send File options (F5, F6, F7) new arranged:
single line sending improved
sending of comments can be blocked
vertical scroll improved
30May21: minor bugfix suppression /*...*/ comments
* Right of technical modifications reserved. Provided 'as is' - without any warranty. Any responsibility is excluded.
* This description is for information only. No product specifications are assured in juridical sense.
* Trademarks and product names cited in this text are property of their respective owners.